Nov 30, 2009

Advent calendars

(Xandie's German advent calendar)
When I was a little girl, my English aunt would send my sister and me an advent calendar every year. It was a letter-sized, full color paper one, with glitter sprinkled about and we would take turns each day in December before Christmas opening the doors to see the little pictures inside. When we spent our sabbatical year in Germany, the advent season was widely celebrated and so Xandie wound up with a Playmobil toy version which made its way back to the U.S. when we had to return home. Then we somehow began to buy advent wall calendars with chocolates inside to hang up in the kitchen. For the past few years now Xandie gets up early each December morn to see what her chocolate surprise will be. Just a few months ago, she happened to find another Playmobil "royal princess version" calendar on sale at our village toyshop. Since I sometimes find it hard to say "no" to a good deal we now have two advent calendar play sets, one on each side of the fireplace. This morning I just bought a new 2009 advent calendar for the kitchen but, unfortunately for me, Xandie doesn't share her chocolates :~)

No comments:

Post a Comment